We’re thrilled to announce the first London Girl Geek event for 2009 sponsored by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to be held on Tuesday, 27th January at HM Treasury (Auditorium Left), just by the Houses of Parliament.
The informal event will commence with a drinks reception at 5.30pm followed by talks at 6pm, and will be compered by Michelle Wyer, Joint Chair of the HMRC Women’s Network. HMRC staff will also be attending.
If you’d like to attend, please book your place now at HMRC GGD (Eventbrite).
While following the usual informal Girl Geek event format, the evening will include talks with the following:
- Deepak Singh, HMRC Acting Chief Information Officer: Deepak’s ExCom (Executive Committee) portfolio comprises Information Management Services. Deepak took on the role of Chief Information Officer (CIO) of HMRC in October 2007. Deepak joined HMRC in June 2006 from T-Mobile where he was an Executive Vice President responsible for IT Strategy, Governance, Quality Management and Change Management. Having graduated from York University in 1985, Deepak has spent over 20 years in the commercial sector and brings to HMRC extensive experience of leading large scale IT enterprises. Deepak’s previous employers include nPower, AstraZeneca, Jaguar Cars and Philips Electronics.
- Joan Wood, Director HMRC Information Management Services (IMS): Joan has headed up IMS Business Partners since January 2008. She has worked in IT within HMRC and previously the Inland Revenue for over ten years. Joan joined the Civil Service as a teenager and has worked at all levels from Administrative Assistant to Senior Civil Servant inclusive in a diverse range of front-line and head office roles.
Many thanks to Alma Kucera at HMRC for helping organise this event.
- Date & Time: Tuesday, 27th January 2009, 5.30pm for a 6pm start
- End Time: The event will finish at 8.30pm, with those interested flowing on to the Red Lion pub directly opposite 100 Whitehall around the corner.
- Venue: HMT Auditorium Left, at HM Treasury Building, Westminster
- Hosted by: Girl Geek Dinners and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)
- Food & Drink: Snacks and refreshments provided
- Subject for the evening: Women Working with Technology at HMRC Men of Honor download
- Format: Reception, Talks, Conversation
- Capacity: 70 people (excluding HMRC attendees)
- Attendees: As ever, boy geeks are welcome to attend if invited by a girl geek
- Directions: Go to the HM Treasury Press entrance on Great George Street at the location marked with a red arrow and ENTRANCE on the below map. HMRC security will then either direct/take you to the appropriate entrance for the event being held in the HM Treasury Auditorium Left. If arriving by tube, leave Westminster Tube using Exit 6 which exits onto Whitehall, turn left at the top of the tube exit stairs, and then turn right onto Great George Street at the corner diagonally opposite the Houses of Parliament. The location should be well illuminated by tourists still taking photos of Big Ben across the road.
If you’d like to attend on 27th January, please sign up via the HMRC GGD sign-up page, and we’ll see you at the event!
3 thoughts on “London Girl Geek Event (January 2009) Sponsored by HMRC”
I would absolutely love to go but I’ve already booked for a Silicon Stilettos thing because I’m starting my SEO Consultancy off at last!
I’ll spread the word and promise to help with a later event!
All you people – ENJOY IT!
Such a pity you can’t make it, Judith, unfortunately we’ve had this date booked in for ages but were waiting for full details and go-ahead.
Congratulations with starting your SEO Consultancy and good luck with the SS hijinks! Hope you might make the 12or13/2 event with Symantec (awaiting location) or 6/3 event with Birds Eye View Film Festival – we love your support whenever available of course, and it’s great seeing you – will announce those as soon as full details.
Comments are closed.