London Girl Geek Dinners are proud to announce another cosmic event in conjunction with Sci-fi London 2010….
Although there have been notable and successful female comic book creators on both sides of the Atlantic over the last half century, it is the translation of Japanese Manga in the West that has seen considerably more female comics creators join the medium in recent years. This is possibly a combination of Manga having a greater female appeal than traditional Western comics and original Japanese Manga being already created by women in Japan.
To discuss these issues we have a trio of up and coming UK Manga creators:
Kate Brown illustrated the Manga Shakespeare adaptation A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Emma Vieceli is contributing to the comic strip adaptations of the songs of Tori Amos Comic Book Tattoo and continues to draw an online Manga story, Dragon Heir.
Karen Rubins found early acclaim for her self published graphic novel The Dark.
Chair: Helen McCarthy one of the UK s leading experts on Manga and Anime.
- Date & Time: Thursday, 29th April 2010, 6.30pm
- Venue: Apollo West End Theatre, 19 Lower Regent Street, SW1 4LR; nearest tube is Piccadilly Circus, Directions here
- Hosted by: Girl Geek Dinners and SCI-FI-LONDON
- Food & Drink: Drinks and nibbles in the bar, from 6.30pm
- Attendees: As usual, men allowed as a guest of a LGGD member.
Tickets: Available from Wednesday 14th April at: http://scifi-london.eventbrite.com/